Many households are dealing with smaller or bigger issues caused by hard water. Hard water can lead to many unpleasant hassles in your everyday life, since it usually leads to quite annoying damages.
The first thing you notice is probably those strange little white stains on the freshly washed glasses or a perfectly destroyed washing machine. If this would not be enough, the problems caused by hard water may be a lot more serious under the surface. This means that your plumbing pipes might be damaged as well and well, replacing those can be quite costly.
The good news is that thanks to the wide range of water softeners, you can successfully fight hard water in your household.
In this article, we are going to discuss the benefits of new generation liquid water softeners and see how they can help you overcome the whole hard water challenge.
What is hard water?
Compared to regular soft water, hard water contains a higher concentration of dissolved minerals, such as calcium (Ca2+) and magnesium (Mg2+) metal cations.
Naturally pure and soft water does not contain hard minerals. They get usually picked up when water passes through limestone or chalk. Predominantly, calcium enters the water as calcium sulfate (CaSO4) or calcium carbonate (CaCO3), while the natural source of magnesium is dolomite (CaMg(CO3)2).
Besides calcium and magnesium, hard water can also contain iron, zinc or manganese.
The high amounts of dissolved mineral solids can give hard water an alkaline pH, however, hard water can also have an acidic or neutral pH depending on what other substances are present in water.
The dangers of hard water
- Having hard water in your household for a long time can lead to scale deposit build-up that is responsible for pipe clogging problems. Unfortunately, this issue can get to a point when you will have no other options but to replace your plumbing pipe system which is the most costly consequence of hard water.
- One of the most noticeable signs of hard water in your household is those annoying little spots or soap scum on your dishes, kitchen appliances or on your bathroom sanitary ware.
- Due to the hardness of water washing your clothes can be difficult as well. Hard water doesn’t let soap lather, so many detergents become ineffective and your clothes can’t be properly cleaned.
- Another thing that is easy to notice is the low shower pressure. The reason behind this unpleasant issue is clogging.
- At some point you will be experiencing the issues caused by hard water on your own skin. Hard water can be responsible for skin irritation issues, dried skin and itchiness.
- Poor appliance efficiency and frequent breakdowns.
What is a liquid water softener?
Liquid water softeners are new generation softening systems effective against hard water. They are able to remove chemicals, minerals and other byproducts responsible for the hardness in water and lime-scale.
More specifically, water softeners reduce the concentration of ferrous iron ion, calcium, magnesium and manganese found in the water. You might wonder if you can use liquid water softeners in addition to filtration systems. The answer is yes, adding a liquid water softener to your professional water filtration system can help you control the quality of your water and fight hard water at the same time.
How do liquid water softeners work?
Basically, the water softening method is built on a simple ion exchange. During the water softening process metal cations are exchanged to sodium ions.
A common question is why are liquid softeners different from any other softening systems? The main difference is that in case of liquid water softeners, the softening solution is directly injected into the water. This way it can prevent hard particles sticking to surfaces such as your dishes, your pipes or home appliances.
Another difference is that liquid water softeners prevent the formation of lime-scale without using a brine tank, resin or needing a backwash system or softening salt.
Now let’s see the exact steps of how the overall process of water softening happens:
- The base of the water softener is the resin in the mineral tank. This resin is specially designed to target and efficiently remove all the hard particles found in water, such as lime, calcium, magnesium.
- The resin beads inside the softener tank have a different electrical charge than the dissolved minerals of the incoming water.
- As the dissolved particles found in water contact the resin beads, they are simply removed through the previously mentioned ion exchange.
The benefits of a liquid water softener
As you could see liquid water softeners are new generation softener solutions that can efficiently fight the unpleasant challenges of hard water. Compared to traditional water softener systems, they are injected in the water and they don’t use a brine tank, a backwash system, a resin or softening salt in order to do the softening work.
Now let’s get a closer look at the actual benefits of liquid water softeners:
- Thanks to the special design they were built to protect your home appliances from limescale build-up.
- Being 100% non-corrosive, liquid water softeners help to prevent corrosion of your plumbing and heating system.
- You can enjoy softened drinking water in the kitchen.
- Say goodbye to skin irritations, liquid water softeners can assure you a luxurious bath and a noticeably softer skin.
- No more scratchy towels, no more extra laundry detergent, water softeners make your clothes cleaner and help you have an amazing and easy laundry.
- No more strange stains on glasses or any other surfaces.
- Last but not least, liquid water softeners are eco-friendly. No need for flushing or backwashing, so using a liquid water softener can actually help you save water, energy and money.
As you could see, using a liquid water softener can be a really good choice when it comes to fighting hard water. These new generation softening solutions can help you to save yourself money, water and energy as well.
I think that at this point you are confident that installing a liquid water softener is not just a quick and simple water treatment solution, but it is also a smart investment for your household.