Best Ways to Filter Water at Home
Store-bought filtered tap water? Forget about it! There are cheaper and easier ways to get filtered water at home. Learn about the easiest ways to filter water at home, and ditch expensive bottled water for filtered tap water.
While drinking tap water may not sound appealing, there are many advantages to switching to tap water, beyond the obvious financial benefits. And when it’s filtered, there are simply no disadvantages to worry about.
In this article, we deal with the simplest and easiest way to get filtered water at home, directly from the tap.
Why filter water at home?
Bottled water is no-doubt a great convenience, but is it the best way to spend your money? Bottled water is expensive, it’s one of the biggest pollutants, and it’s not as fresh as bottled water manufacturers may lead you to believe.
If you’re wondering whether filtered water is a better choice for you, here are its top benefits over bottled water:
- It’s cheaper: With bottled water, you’re paying for the added cost of bottling, branding, and transport, which all cost much more than investing in a reliable water filter and filter cartridges;
- It’s gentle on the environment: Have you ever considered how much plastic waste you’re generating each year? Multiply that number by millions of consumers worldwide, and you’ll be baffled by the sheer amount of plastic that ends up polluting the environment;
- It’s a controlled process: With a water filter, you can control the level of filtration you desire. You can remove contaminants lurking in your tap water, raise its pH level, add minerals missing from it, etc.;
- It’s easy: Installing a water filter is not at all difficult. Most water filters for residential use can be DIY installed in minutes, without worrying about plumbing fees;
- It’s convenient: Turn on the tap and voila! You can drink freshly filtered water on tap, without running errands to the store, carrying bottles, worrying about running out of water at night;
- It’s easy to maintain: All water filters have a periodic maintenance regimen that is usually limited to filter changes every 3 to 12 months, depending on the water filter brand. Other than that, you can enjoy filtered water all year round.
If any or all of these benefits of filtered water sound good to you, here’s how you can filter water at home:
How to filter water at home?
Filtering water at home can be achieved by simply installing a water filter system in your kitchen. There are many types of water filters for residential use, however, the ones that are the easiest to use are countertop water filters and under-sink water filters.
Countertop water filters come in two variants – filters attached to your kitchen tap and free-standing models that don’t work with water pressure.
Countertop water filters come with the following advantages:
- You can install them within a few minutes – simply attach the filter tube to your tap;
- You don’t need to worry about plumbing as there is no plumbing knowledge required;
- Both attached models and free-standing units can be taken with you if you’re moving apartments;
- You don’t need to install another tap, simply attach the filter to your existing tap;
- Affordable models available with a high filtration capacity and contaminant removal efficiency;
- Easy maintenance – simply replace the filters at the end of their service life.
Any disadvantages? The only real disadvantage of countertop water filters is that they sit next to your kitchen sink, so they aren’t as discreet as filters tucked away under your kitchen sink.
Undersink water filters, the corollary or countertop filters, are another example of easy to use water filter system. These filters sit under your kitchen sink, being out of sight.
In terms of advantages, undersink water filters boast the following benefits:
- Multi-stage filtration available for a more in-depth and complex filtration;
- Space-saving filters – unlike countertop water filters, undersink filters are installed under your kitchen counter, saving you space;
- Cost-efficient – both the initial purchase price and maintenance costs are low;
- Variety of filtration technologies – undersink water filters can range from multi-stage reverse osmosis filters to multi-stage carbon block and ceramic filters;
- Easy maintenance – just like countertop models, undersink filters are easy to maintain.
Undersink water filters have some disadvantages as well. Perhaps the biggest disadvantage is that you have to install a separate tap for filtered water only. This means, that you will have two taps on your kitchen sink – your regular tap and the water filter tap. Alternatively, you can avoid a two-tap situation by installing a 3-way kitchen tap that allows you to have filtered cold water, and unfiltered hot and cold water, all from the same tap.
Best filters to filter water at home
Now that you know how you can filter water at home, here are the best filters that can get the job done quickly and easily:
– installable within minutes
– removes microorganisms like Giardia and Cryptosporidium
– reduces lead, asbestos, chlorine and VOCs
– quick-change filter technology allows quick and easy replacement without contact with filter material.
- Free-standing model, no water pressure required;
- Portability – no need to plumb it in;
- High contaminant removal capacity (disease-causing pathogens, lead, herbicides, and hundreds of other contaminants);
- Can be used even with water sourced directly from lakes, rivers, ponds, etc.
PurePro RS4000 – 4-stage undersink water filter
- Multi-stage filtration process for chlorine, VOCs, microorganism removal;
- Alkaline filter to raise the pH level of water;
- Quick-change filter technology for easy filter replacement.
- No-tank reverse osmosis filter;
- 4-stage filtration;
- 12-month filter lifetime, all filters replaceable at the same time;
- pH stabilising filter for healthy drinking water.
Both countertop and undersink water filters are user-friendly filters that will make your transition from bottled to filtered tap an easy one. Whether you want a countertop filter or an undersink filter, here at WaterFilterShop.co.uk, we have a wide range of filter models to meet all your water filtration needs.